Monday, March 07, 2011

My Dream Country

I believe that a hero is the man who tries to become the best, and once he is there tries to out-do himself. That's how we as people should perceive our goals in life. And my dream country is a country full of such heroes.

I dream of a country that sets an example of political philosophy that generations will come trying to achieve what that country has achieved. A political philosophy that embarrasses its neighbors, and rallies them to make political reforms.

Unfortunately, the contemporary political scene in the Arab world is retarded. It feels like the 18th century or something. However, the recent events show that the winds of change has come.

The Arab street has two common stereotypes: Those who want to go back to the 10th century, and those that want to play the catch-up game, and advance to the 20th century. A few have balls enough to enter the 21st century.

Everytime on the news someone says: "This is the 21st century, things shouldn't be like that", I have this urge to take a knife and slit his throat. The catch-up game shouldn't be the goal. The goal should be to out-do the 21st century.

What I really wish to hear is someone who says: "This is not good enough, it does not meet the standards of the 25th century!".

Yes, I wish to live in a country where the people in the 25th century would look back at history and say: "Wow, what we just formulated as a standard in political philosophy, there was a country that did it before." And this is the country I dream of.

As far fetched as it might seem to realize, it would be my heartiest desire that this country be Jordan. And for that, I urge everyone who looks for political reform to not be shortsighted. Do not look for quick solutions, but for radical solutions. Do not remedy the symptoms, remedy the disease. Do not aim to imitate, do not aim to catch-up. Aim to set an example. Aim high, and aim true.

No comments: