Thursday, January 26, 2006

Oopsie, Google Speaks Arabic Now

While a friend was at my place it occured to us to make a search on google about some topic. To my ultimate embarrassment google speaks arabic now! "I didnt make it that way, I swear!" I reason. "Type the address again man, maybe you misspelled something." my friend suggests. It shows the same site... My friend notices something odd: "btw, why does the address bar show google.jo rather than google.com"... It occured to me then that they must have localized my page!! I gotta tell u a something: I HATE LOCALIZATION!
Finally i find a link that says: "English", and my day goes back to normal again.

2 comments:

Tololy said...

Ummm... Why did you freak out though? Was it because of the Arabic or the Localization?

Devil's Mind said...

the arabic actually! :S
although some people seem to like it, i generally discourage webpages and\or programs being localized in regional languages.... i mean, if arabs are gonna make their webpages in arabic, germans are gonna make their webpages in dutch, french make webpages in french,,, and so on... then the internet is no longer a "global village", and is limiting in many ways, and defies that the internet holds information available to everyone...
same applies to programs...
thats why i have english-only policy in webpages and programs i either make or visit...
using a localized version contradicts my personal policies!